File a Claim
How to File a Claim
The Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA) has one Claims Department located in Austin, Texas. It is preferred that policyholders contact their agent to report their loss/claim. Their agent will then report the claim to TWIA so it can be assigned to an independent adjusting firm/adjuster for investigation. The adjusters will report their findings to TWIA and we will make the final decision on the claim.
BY E-QUOTE (PREFERRED METHOD) - ALSO KNOWN AS AGENT PORTAL
Agents can now submit loss notices through TWIA-s Agent Portal, known as E-Quote. To submit a loss notice through the Agent Portal:
- Go to TWIA's website: www.twia.org and click on the green "Agent Login" button, then login.
- Click on the menu item "Claim" and select "Submit FNOL".
- Enter the information requested on the first screen. It helps to have the policy declarations page since it is important to know the policy number and to enter the street address exactly as it appears on the policy.
- If your policy number and the location address match our records, then the system will display the second screen.
- Enter the information requested on the second screen and click the "Submit" button.
- The final screen will indicate if the creation of the claim was successful and it will display the claim number.
- The final screen will also have a button that allows you to create another claim if you need to.
DO NOT MAIL ONCE SUBMITTED VIA AGENT PORTAL.
FIRST, TRY TO CONTACT YOUR AGENT TO HAVE THEM REPORT YOUR LOSS/CLAIM
There are many benefits of reporting your claim through your agent on the TWIA Agents' portal. Some of the advantages are:
- A TWIA claim is created immediately.
- The claim is simultaneously made ready for assignment to an adjusting firm.
- A valid policy is confirmed for the date of loss.
- A claim number is created and displayed for the agent and policyholder to track the claim.
Other information you should know:
- If your TWIA policy on the damaged property was in force at the time of the loss, TWIA will assign your claim to an adjuster for investigation.
- TWIA will mail you a copy of the Claim Notice Acknowledgment and Assignment, which will identify the adjusting firm handling your claim.
- The adjuster will contact you for an appointment to inspect your property.
- Please make reasonable and necessary temporary repairs ONLY to protect the property from further damage. "Temporary" means something that can be reasonably removed for inspection. It cannot be repairs that will prevent the adjuster from seeing the reported damage.
- Take photos of the damage prior to making any temporary repairs. Keep documentation of these repairs. Give the photos and documentation to the adjuster.
- Please review the "Important Notice for Insureds" which is attached to your policy.
Policyholders who are unable to reach their agents may submit their claims by:
- Call 1-800-788-8247 to report the loss/claim by phone, directly to TWIA.
- After the automated attendant answers, press 1 and follow the prompts to report your claim, OR
- Click on the following link to open the TWIA Loss Notice Form.
- Fill out the form completely, tabbing from one field to the next. The date of loss and insured's phone numbers are especially important.
- After completing the form, from the menu bar, click on File, Print... to print the form to your local printer.
- Fax the form directly to TWIA Claims at 512-899-4953. Do not use "cover sheets" or "transmittal sheets" with the First Notice of Loss (FNOL). DO NOT MAIL A COPY AFTER FAXING
Note: In the event of a serious storm, please visit this website periodically for the latest information and updates.